A SOCIAL MEDIA PROJECT

Follow me on twitter @ChefNora

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

FRENCH ONION SOUP


Been missing from school for a week now. I've recently contracted chicken pox from god knows who but yes, itchy spots started appearing all over my body, accompanied by a monstrous fever and a really bad flu.

They say the best thing to have when you're feeling under the weather is SOUP. Usually I'd just stick to chicken soup but since I'm down with chicken pox.. no. I decided to flip through mum's cookbook and found a recipe for french onion soup and tried it out. It takes awhile to whip up but the end product is ACE.

So here's what you need:

4-5 large red or yellow onions
1/4 cup of butter
1 teaspoon of sugar
6 cups of beef stock
1/4 of dry thyme
Salt and pepper
French  bread (sliced and toasted)
A block of swiss cheese

1. First, we melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the sugar. Once fully melted, add in the thinly sliced onions and cook till golden brown.

2. Next add in your seasoning - Your thyme, salt and pepper. I added in dried basil as well.


3. Once the seasoning is mixed well with the onions, add in your beef stalk and heat till boiling. Once boiling, lower heat, pop on the lid and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or till the onions are soft (when i say soft they should melt in your mouth)

4. This part is optional but it makes the whole soup taste so much better. Separate the soup into small bowls (oven safe bowls please!). Put a slice of french toast on top and a few slices of swiss cheese and then place the bowls in the oven.

And viola! You're all done. Ready to serve and savour.

Do tell me what you think about this recipe. Leave a comment or tweet me @ChefNora also follow me on instagram @noratisha <3



 Thank you!









No comments:

Post a Comment