A SOCIAL MEDIA PROJECT

Follow me on twitter @ChefNora

Thursday, December 13, 2012

CHURROS

If you follow me on twitter, you should know that I have been attempting to make churros. Ever since the churros stand at Far East Plaza shut down, I've been looking all over Singapore for the best churros and then I thought.. Why not make my own?

My first attempt was an epic fail. The dough literally turned out like rubber. And when I fried it, it was rock hard. Turns out I forgot to add in the eggs *badum tss* 

Anyway, here's the recipe. It is pretty simple. Mine turned out a little to light and fluffy because I whisked the eggs it too much and too much air got it. And also to my churros turned out pretty ugly cause, I'm just not good at piping. 



You will need:

1 cup of Water
1 cup of All Purpose Flour
3 Tbsp of Unsalted Butter
1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
4 Eggs
1 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
½ tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
Canola Oil for frying
½ cup of Granulated Sugar for dipping
1 Tsp of Ground Cinnamon


1) Fill in a large pot with cooking oil. Fill it on till about half full and heat it over medium heat. You could also use a deep fryer if you have one

2) In a large saucepan, add water, butter, vegetable oil, 1 tbsp of sugar, vanilla and salt, bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and add the flour, stirring until the mixture turns into a ball, cook this mixture for about 1 minute. Make sure there aren't any balls of flour left and then leave to cool.

(while waiting for it to cool you can go make your cinnamon sugar for dipping - just mix the sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl and you're done)

3) Once the dough is cooled, add in one egg at a time and mix well after each addition to make sure the egg is well combined.

4) Spoon the dough into a piping bag, best fitted with a large star tip. Now you can pipe the dough into the hot oil, a few at a time, till golden brown.

6) Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil and then dip them in the cinnamon sugar.

I read somewhere that churros are great when served with hot chocolate sauce, so do try that! If you do try my recipe please comment or tweet to me at @ChefNora . 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment